Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Quick Update

After going out yesterday and doing my shopping, I felt like I had to share it with you readers....this keeps me motivated!

So I spent $40 on groceries yesterday which should get us through the week.  Also, I bought 3 boxes of Kleenex tissues at CVS for 89 cents each, plus had a 50 cents off 3 coupon (so about 73 cents each).  I also went to Walgreen's and bought a 4-pack of Schick disposable razors.  They are normally $6.99 and were on sale for $5.99.  I had a $3 off coupon, plus $1.50 in Register Rewards, so in all I spent $1.79 on them, plus got another $3 in Register Rewards on my next purchase.  Billy thinks I'm obsessed with saving money now (he never would have said that before!).

Also, I wanted to respond to some questions I have been asked about how I plan my meals and where I get ideas from.  Basically, I started by looking through the cabinets and figuring out what stuff we already had (this took some time and I had to get creative with a few items) and I tried to plan meals around those initial ingredients (like manwich sandwiches, chicken and rice, pork chops, and the southwestern chicken skillet).  Next, I looked through my personal collection of recipes, most of which are from my mom, and basically planned to make each of those things (so that took up a big chunk of the month)--things like goulash, pot roast, salmon cakes, etc.  I had about five days left and couldn't think of what to make, so I opened up the Betty Crocker cookbook and tried to find some new things (like chicken tetrazzini, chili, etc.).  I was pretty selective about the Betty Crocker recipes....a lot of times those recipes can be very involved and require a lot of ingredients and time, which I don't have.  I really had to look through the entire cookbook before I could find enough easy and inexpensive recipes.  It took a whole day of planning for me to get the calendar complete, but once it's done I don't have to think about it for the rest of the month!

I also wanted to share the recipe for what we had for dinner last night.  It was a new meal we've never tried before, but I loved it and Billy didn't complain (so that must mean something, right?).  This recipe came from the Minute brown rice box, so nothing fancy here!

Southwestern Chicken Skillet

Ingredients:
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 lb. chicken breasts
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup thick and chunky salsa
- 1 pkg. (10 oz.) of frozen corn (I used the southwestern frozen corn, which has peppers in it)
- 2 cups Minute brown rice (or any instant brown rice)
- 1/4 cup or more of shredded cheese

1. Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat.
2. Add chicken and cover.  Cook 4 min. on each side or until cooked through.  (This took me a lot longer than 4 min. on each side).
3. Remove chicken and set aside.  Add water, salsa, and frozen corn to skillet; mix well and bring to a boil.
4. Stir in rice (uncooked).  Reduce heat to low and cover.  Simmer 5 min.  Top rice mixture with chicken; sprinkle with cheese.  Cover and simmer 5 min.

This was a super easy and quick dinner; most of the prep work can be done in advance so everything is ready to go when you're ready to start dinner.  It was great to have something different that tasted good; a lot of times my new creations don't turn out so well!

Enjoy the beautiful fall weather! 

Kristen

1 comment:

  1. I too have become obsessed with saving money. Recently, I signed up for the Sunday paper just to get the coupons. Clipping coupons has become one of my favorite things to do on Sunday morning! It also gives me the opportunity to try a lot of new foods. Thanks for the recipe that you listed in your post. I think I have all of those ingredients already; I just need to swing by the store and get some salsa, which I don't mind doing, because I think I have a coupon!

    ReplyDelete