Friday, November 26, 2010

Post-Thanksgiving Laziness

The past 24 hours have been super busy...I'm almost sort of glad that Thanksgiving is over so that we can move on to Christmas!  I got up yesterday morning and made homemade macaroni and cheese.  It's definitely not hard to make, but is somewhat time consuming and it's kind of hard to juggle boiling noodles, a mixture you have to constantly stir, and a baby who's spitting up EVERYWHERE.  Billy fed Ellie yesterday morning, and after drinking about two ounces she did a major spit up...basically everything she'd eaten so far, and of course it was all over Billy.  This in itself is not an anomaly; I would classify Ellie as a spitter anyway and it's very normal for her to spit up a lot throughout the day.  However, we did find a tiny speck of blood in her spit up.  Of course I started freaking out and panicking.  Under normal circumstances I would call the doctor's office, but since it was a holiday they were obviously closed.  I really did not want to go to the hospital, especially if it wasn't a big deal, so we decided to wait and see how she did after taking the rest of her bottle.  She drank the rest just fine without any issues, and the rest of the day she didn't have any blood in her spit up.  I think it was bloody mucus from her nose and it got down in her stomach contents and then came up when she spit up (Billy thoroughly examined the nastiness...I watched from the sidelines lol).  The blood was like a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of her spit up, and since she didn't show any other problems yesterday we're assuming she's fine.  Plus, the air is so dry now that it's cold outside, and I think it's been irritating her nasal passages.  It may be time to invest in a humidifier for her room.

Other than that drama, the mac n cheese turned out fine and we made it to Thanksgiving on time, which never happens.  We went to Billy's aunt's house first and ate with his family and my Granny and Poppaw, which was a lot of fun.  Ellie slept the whole time, which I was so thankful for.  Last Sunday we visited with family and she was so cranky the whole day and hardly got a good nap, so I came armed with the portable swing this time (and it worked!).  After Thanksgiving with his family, we went to my other grandparent's house and had dinner with my family on my mom's side.  It was a very peaceful evening and a good end to the day.  Billy and I made it home around 8:00 last night.  I relaxed the rest of the evening after Ellie went to bed, and poor Billy cleaned our bathroom.

The other day he opened up the sink cabinet in our bathroom and found a bunch of mold (so glad I didn't see that because I probably would have thrown up!).  After cleaning everything thoroughly, he went and bought a new sink and base.  The new one is smaller, which is kind of hard for me to get used to.  The old one was small, too, but this one is even smaller.  It's a very cute sink, though, and I think once we finish the other updates in the bathroom I'll be pleased with it.  Anyway, he installed the new sink and plumbing two nights ago.  Last night, he used ammonia to clean all over our bathroom, which was very pungent but I am so thankful that he did that.  We both have a love/hate relationship with our bathroom.  I love my shower curtain and shower walls/shelves, and I love that Billy took out the window in the shower (who ever thought putting a window in a shower was a good idea?!).  I also love the floor he put in, and the new sink is very cute.  But I HATE the walls.  They used to be wallpapered and Billy removed all of that.  Underneath the wall looked like crap.  It's very uneven, so he had to patch a lot, but you can still tell where it looked cruddy.  We have a plan for texturing (not sure that this is a word) the walls so it looks better, but who knows when we will have time for that.

A friend of mine had a baby boy this morning.  We haven't seen him yet except for a texted picture, but he is so handsome.  After reading another friend's blog, I realized that I have such a precious gift in my daughter and that I should realize how blessed I am.  She is an active, vocal, and sometimes dramatic baby (hmm...do we have a potential wild child on our hands?), but she is mine (and Billy's) and she could have died in the situation we were put in with her birth.  I could have died, too.  I am so thankful to be alive and to have a healthy, beautiful, "petite" daughter.  She is my unique little girl and I love her so much.  She has the sweetest smiles that just melt my heart...what would I do without her?  Even though we didn't plan on having a baby yet, and I was really freaked out when we found out we were having a baby, she is the greatest blessing Billy and I have experienced as a couple.  I am so thankful God chose us to be her parents.

Now that I'm all emotional (must be these darn hormones!), let's talk about other things.  Billy's 23rd birthday is in a few days (December 1st) and I so hope that he will have a good day.  He hasn't had the greatest birthdays in the past due to other circumstances, but I really hope that it will be a good one this year.  We are going out with family on Tuesday the 30th to celebrate...his present will be arriving in the mail today.  I won't say what it is just in case he reads this, but I really hope he'll like it...I kinda went out on a limb on this one so I'm not sure how it will go over, but we'll keep our fingers crossed that he likes it!

As far as my grocery shopping this week, I spent $25.  Not a huge accomplishment considering I didn't have to buy a whole lot, but at least we're not spending much!  I didn't work hard to get a lot of deals this week.  I figured since it was a holiday I could take a break!  I did buy some Dove body wash at Walgreen's.  That stuff is expensive!  I haven't bought any in a really long time because I've been stocked up, but I just never remember it being so pricey.  I normally wouldn't be a name brand person, but I have had major acne problems in the past (on my back and chest) and this is one soap that seems to help my skin.  I used to use Bath and Body Works stuff, but realized that it was contributing to my acne problems so I had to quit using it.  I tried Dove because it's supposed to not leave a lot of soap residue, which could be contributing to my skin problems, and once I saw that it helped I haven't switched to anything else yet. Anyway, so that was priced at $8.99 and I had a $1 manufacturer's coupon, plus $3 in Register Rewards, so I spent about $5 on it.  At Target, I bought Shelley's dog food and got a pretty good deal.  She eats Purina Dog Chow, which we normally buy at Sam's Club.  There, you get a 50 pound bag for around $20.  This week at Target they had a 48 pound bag on sale for about $22, and then I used a $2 manufacturer's coupon.  This was another gift card deal, so I got a $5 gift card for buying the bag of dog food, so it's like spending $15, which worked out to be cheaper than the food at Sam's Club.  I also bought 2 packages of Nestle Toll House refrigerated cookie dough in separate transactions.  In the first, I used a $1 manufacturer's coupon and got a print out coupon from the register (these are called catalinas, I think).  I then used another $1 manufacturer's coupon on the second package plus the $1 catalina coupon and got if for a few cents.

That's all for me, I will now try to find something productive to do around the house until Ellie wakes up!

Kristen 

No comments:

Post a Comment