Monday, November 8, 2010

First Week of Success!

So last week I shared with you many of my goals that I want to accomplish, many of which have to do with saving money and being a more organized wife and mother.  I am proud to say that last week was a HUGE success compared to what I've been doing in the past.  Some highlights of the week include:
- I spent $35 on groceries last week (including toiletries!)
- I bought almost everything on sale or with a coupon
- I got a Colgate toothbrush for 20 cents and toothpaste for 25 cents (Kroger sale plus coupons)
- I got a free Renuzit cone (one of those scented cone things...didn't really need it, but it was free!)
- Got a  Nivea men's body wash...normally $4, got it for 99 cents
- Bought 2 Head and Shoulders, normally would have been about $10, bought them for $4, plus got $1.50 off my next purchase at Walgreen's 
- Saved 10 cents off every gallon of gas at Kroger because I built up enough fuel points
- Made dinner according to my calendar every day!

I really felt so proud of myself last week....this might sound silly, but I prayed that God would help me learn how to save money and find better deals, and He really answered my prayer in ways I didn't expect.  After shopping at Kroger and getting groceries for the week (plus a few things I need later in the month that happened to be on sale) I realized that I didn't need to spend $100 to get what I need for the week.  The $35 I spent got me every specific item I needed, plus a few things that I could stockpile for the future.  I actually accomplished something that has been a challenge for months, and I spent less than my maximum amount allotted for the week!  I think I learned that I need to make a specific list and stick to it; don't start buying on impulse because it looks good or I think I might use it eventually...the list was my friend and it helped me stay in control of what I was buying so that I didn't overspend.


All in all, it was a great week for me to kick off my money saving and couponing.  God must have had a hand in the Kroger sales, because it seemed like everything I needed just happened to be on sale! =)


This week, I plan to of course buy groceries, and I have a few items I'm going to look out for at the drugstores, like Kleenex tissues and Schick disposable razors...these are things I can always use, and they are on sale at CVS and Walgreen's....and of course, I have coupons for.  It's a dangerous game to stockpile, but it can be so worth it if you plan it right.  I love stockpiling on toiletries and household items, because I feel secure knowing that I have enough to last for a couple months.  However, I have been guilty of spending a ton of money at one time just for the sake of stockpiling, even when it wasn't really necessary.  I'm trying to get better about this, and only purchase when I can get a really really good deal on the items (like the toothbrush and toothpaste last week).  Hoping for more success this week!


And many of you have asked me what I'm making for dinner this month, so I'll go ahead and put that in this post....don't get your hopes up, most of the things we eat are super simple and cheap....no gourmet dinners here!


1- Breakfast casserole
2- Baked ziti, green beans, bread
3- Kung pao chicken with rice
4- Pork BBQ, corn on the cob, potatoes
5- Date night 
6- Tacos and rice
7- Southwestern chicken skillet
8- Manwich sandwiches, potatoes
9- Spaghetti, salad, bread
10- Cheesy potato casserole
11- Pork chops, mashed potatoes
12- Date night
13- Santa Fe soup
14- Chicken and rice bake
15- Goulash, green beans, bread
16- Salmon cakes, potatoes
17- Chili, corn bread
18- Corned beef hash, scrambled eggs, toast
19- Date night
20- Rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes
21- Pork chops, macaroni and cheese
22- Lasagna, salad, bread
23- Chicken fingers, potatoes
24- Steak, corn on the cob
25- Thanksgiving!
26- Date night
27- Chicken tetrazzini
28- Stuffed shells, green beans, bread
29- Pork chops, macaroni and cheese
30- Pot roast, carrots, potatoes


Blessings to you and yours.....Kristen

1 comment:

  1. Your dinners look amazing! How are you planning to buy everything you need for them? Or... should I ask, How did you decide what to make? I'm terrible at planning meals! Let alone planning meals for a month!! Keep up the good work! I'm making my Kroger run tomorrow :-)

    ReplyDelete