Friday, April 6, 2012

Consignment Shopping!

Yesterday I was able to go to Harrisonburg's twice-a-year children's consignment sale, The Village Closet.  Back when we lived in Lynchburg I always tried to go to Kidz Kraze and usually found some super-cheap clothing there, and so when we moved to Harrisonburg I immediately googled for something similar.  I was so excited to know that we have one here and as soon as it became available I signed up for the new moms pre-sale (being pregnant definitely has some perks!).  I was able to get in to the sale before it opened to the public, meaning I could get some of the good stuff before it was gone AND not have to fight a huge crowd, since the pre-sale had a cap on the number of people who could come.

I didn't have a big shopping list...really, all I needed were some basic clothes for Ellie.  Piper has tons of clothing already (lots of precious new things we've gotten as gifts from family, plus PLENTY of hand-me-downs from Ellie and cousins Brooklyn and Bethany).  I made a list of things I wanted to try to get for Ellie, including a pair of jeans, shorts, shirts, a fall jacket if possible, and a skirt or two, and I had a budget of $35.  I was actually able to get everything on the list except for the jacket...I just didn't see anything that looked like it would work for her.  I'll probably find something at either the next sale or when Old Navy does the performance fleece sales in the fall.  I got a fleece jacket for Ellie last year for pretty cheap from Old Navy when they had that sale and I think it was about $5, a decent price in my book!

Anyway, I was so excited to leave the sale with 13 items for $23!  Ellie now has 7 "new" shirts, 3 pairs of shorts, a skirt, a pair of jeans, and a skirt with built-in leggings.  The "skirt leggings" and jeans were both from Baby Gap, and they were only $2.50 each and looked like they had never been worn.  And some of the shirts and shorts were only $1, which I couldn't believe!

My loot for Ellie
Of course, I couldn't go to a children's clothing sale and not look at the little baby clothes...but I just couldn't bring myself to buy anything because Piper has so much already.  I did, however, buy two precious headbands for Piper from my friends Dawn and Alissa from Crafted in Grace.  They had an adorable booth set up at the sale with handmade bows, headbands, and bowties.  I found a super-cute flower headband in white (which I figured would go with anything!) and a plain headband that I can use to clip regular bows on.  I have a ton of bows left over from Ellie...so now that we have a headband, hopefully we'll be able to use them more this time around!  I spent $6 on these, so I spent $29 total...$6 under my budget! =)

Aren't these precious?!  Can't wait to see Piper wearing one =)
Ellie and I had a good time shopping, and I'm so thankful we got a few needed items (plus some fun, cute things!) for great prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment