Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Nesting

Now that I'm almost 35 weeks pregnant, I'm realizing just how quickly Piper's due date is approaching.  This pregnancy has gone by so much faster than it did with Ellie, probably because I stay so busy with chasing my little toddler around.  In the past week, I've been going into what I would call panic mode, but is probably more of the normal "nesting" period.  I don't think I really experienced this with Ellie...looking back, I think I was pretty chill about everything up until her birth.  So chill, in fact, that I ignored some pretty serious symptoms...but, thankfully, everything turned out okay.  I remember not even unpacking baby gifts, thinking I still had plenty of time.  We barely had her crib put together before she was born.

Anyway, with this pregnancy, I've definitely been feeling a little crazed lately.  I've already made my hospital bag packing list with everything I could possibly need while at the hospital.  Piper's closet is full of freshly-laundered clothes, and I've been stocking up on diapers and wipes since last summer.  I made a freezer cooking ideas list today in preparation for a freezer cooking marathon where I stock up our freezer with as much food as I can.  I have organized and re-organized all of the baby clothes we own from sizes newborn to 18 months for easy access when Piper is ready for them.  Basically what I'm trying to say is that I'm totally freaking out about having another baby...in a good way.  Yes, I have my moments where I think, "I can't do this...how am I going to take care of two children under the age of two?!" For the most part, though, I'm thoroughly excited and joyful about meeting our little girl.  I'm just experiencing this constant restlessness right now, which I think is what nesting is all about.  I feel the urge to get everything done and checked off my list before Piper arrives.

Granted, I've learned from experience that it's better to be prepared early, which may be motivating some of my craziness right now.  It's hard to believe that in a little over two weeks I'll be 37 weeks pregnant, which is when Ellie was born.  I'm constantly reminding Billy of this, which I think might slightly annoy him, because it's making him freak out a little, too.  Haha.

Thankfully we're pretty much prepared for her to come any time.  Yes, there are a zillion things I want to do before she comes, but honestly, she has plenty of clothes, a place to sleep, and diapers to keep her dry. And that's all that really matters.  Everything that doesn't get done before she comes will be okay.  I'm constantly telling myself this.... =)

On Sunday we're picking up Piper's crib, which is identical to Ellie's, and a chest of drawers, which matches the dresser we already have.  You better believe I'll be begging Billy to put everything together immediately, but I know better than to demand that from him.  I'm thinking maybe the following Saturday would be a good time, unless Billy decides to do it sooner than that.  Our girls will be sharing a room--eventually.  My plan is to wait until Piper is sleeping through the night before putting her in the same room as Ellie.  Ellie is such a fantastic sleeper, and I would hate to disrupt that now.  I'm thinking that we'll use the pack and play for Piper in our room to get through the middle-of-the-night feedings and stuff.  I'm really hoping that Piper turns out to be a good sleeper, too, and that by 3 months old she'll be sharing a room with Ellie, who was 10 weeks when she started sleeping through the night every night.  I'm a little nervous about the sleep difficulties I'll have with sharing a room with Piper.  With Ellie, we tried sharing a room with her for a few days, but I was going crazy with listening to all the little baby noises and couldn't sleep through it.  I was also constantly checking on her to make sure she was breathing, and was never getting any rest myself.  After three nights of that, we decided she just needed to sleep in her own room, which worked out beautifully for all of us.  We do have a walk-in closet in our bedroom, so if it comes down to it I could put Piper in there =).

I have to say, I feel thoroughly better after "venting" all of this.  Sometimes it's hard for me to verbally articulate exactly how I'm feeling.  Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. You will be just fine. I will tell you that going from 1 to 2 is definitely a challenge, but you eventually find a new normal. There is 4 years between my boys so I can't give any advice on 2 under 2. I will be praying for you. I can't wait to see pictures of little Piper.

    ReplyDelete