Monday, January 10, 2011

Shopping mistakes.....but a very good dinner!

So this weekend was kinda bleh.  As I mentioned in a previous post, Billy's dad passed away just after Christmas, so the funeral was this past Saturday.  It was a very long day for everyone.  I got up at 5 am, woke Ellie up at 6, and we left home at 7.  We had to be in downtown Roanoke by 8:30, so we wanted to make sure we weren't rushed.  It snowed the night before, just enough to cover the ground a little, and it was a beautiful drive.  We got into downtown, and the roads were a little slick because it had started to snow again, which was an adventure, but we made it just fine.  It was a difficult day, but we were blessed to have a very nice service, and there were many people there to pay their respects.

We got home around 7 pm that evening, totally exhausted.  Billy wasn't feeling well, so he took his temperature and it was a little over 100.  He felt pretty cruddy.  I went to Walgreen's and bought him some NyQuil and DayQuil (for $2.50 each!) and he slept for 15 hours that night.  We had a very lazy day at home yesterday and did absolutely nothing except watch football and movies on Netflix.  I did go to Walgreen's last night, which was a bit of a disaster.  I had a list written out with everything I needed to get, plus the coupons to use, and it ended up being a nightmare.  Lesson learned: just because someone else gets that deal doesn't mean that you will!  

I followed the advice on Money Saving Mom's website about what coupons to use, but the prices must be different here than where she is located, because those deals didn't work for me.  The cashier had scanned all my items and bagged them before realizing that a coupon didn't work, so then they had to cancel the whole thing and start over.  He had already taken my coupons and put them away, so I don't think he used all of my coupons when I started over, so I ended up spending $15 when I was hoping to spend $10-$12.  Oh well.  It happens, and it's a good lesson to me to be more diligent with my shopping and coupon planning at the drug stores.  Kroger is way easier!

I was grateful, though, for Walgreen's last night.  I had about 200 leftover size 1 diapers, and Ellie is getting ready to move up to size 2.  I don't have receipts for the diapers, because they were given as gifts, and Walmart won't let me make any more returns without a receipt because I've maxed out my limit for the year.  I asked if I could just exchange the diapers for a different size at Walgreen's, and it was no problem.  I traded in 3 packs of Huggies diapers (size 1) for 3 packs of size 3 diapers.  Ellie already has a good stash of size 2 diapers, and doesn't have any size 3.  I figured that I might as well get a little stash of size 3 going, that way they're there when I need them.  Plus, I'm not a big fan of Huggies diapers (we've had leakage problems in the past), so I usually put them at the bottom of the pile and won't use them until I have to.  Since we don't have any size 3 yet, I figured at least I would use them that way.  I also went to Kroger and traded in a big box of Pampers diapers (size 1) for a box of size 2.  I love Pampers...they're definitely the best so far.  And Kroger was very accommodating...I didn't even have to sign anything because it was an even exchange, even though I didn't have a receipt.

When I got home, I started making dinner.  I tried a new recipe last night called Farfalle Festival, and it was very good.  I found the recipe online, and if you'd like to try it, you can view it here.  I needed a recipe where I could use alfredo sauce, since I had a jar just sitting in the cabinet.  If you like pasta, alfredo, bacon, and chicken, then you'll like this.  It was an adventure making it, though.  I burned the first batch of bacon and the house was enveloped in smoke (WORST SMELL EVER).  I guess that's what I get trying to multitask.  I was cooking the bacon and chicken at the same time, as well as feeding Ellie.  It was a mess.  After cleaning that up and recovering from the burning eyes, we finally got it together and it turned out great.  I usually tend to make my own modifications to recipes because I'm a slightly picky eater (and I don't want to do extra work!) so I didn't include red onion (just some onion powder).  I also used milk instead of heavy cream, because I hate buying ingredients that I don't use completely.  Same with the Asiago cheese....I just threw in some mozzarella.  Billy puts it at the top of his favorites list, and if it passes Billy's inspection, then it's a keeper!

I have a pretty busy week ahead of me.  Wednesday morning I have a meeting at Liberty about an article I've been collaborating on with some of my past professors, and I have to take Ellie with me (kinda dreading that).  She is such a good baby, but she gets bored easily and wants to play, so it's hard to discuss reading comprehension strategies while holding a restless baby.  Thursday morning I'm going to a mommy get together, which I am so looking forward to.  It's great being able to be around other women and getting to have "adult talk time."  I love being with Ellie everyday, but by the end of the day I'm so ready to have a conversation that doesn't include "Did you do a stinky?" or "Let's go change your outfit AGAIN."  Thursday afternoon I'm getting my hair cut...Billy has been encouraging me to make an appointment to have a little "me time."  He's so sweet!  Plus, I haven't had a haircut since May of last year, and it's definitely time.  I would like to do something different, but I just don't want short hair.  I've thought about dying my hair, or getting different bangs....but I'm too scared.  I'm going to a nice salon this time (Sage Tryall Salon) because I've heard two different people recommend it.  My plan is to just go in, tell her I want to get the dead ends off and keep it long, but that otherwise I would like her opinion.  Maybe I'll end up with something new, or maybe not, but at least I'm getting it done!  Friday morning I have a training session for the envelopes gig, so my dad is coming up to babysit Ellie since he's off work (thank goodness!).  Friday night we're hoping to have date night....can't wait!

Will be working on my grocery list this afternoon....I will post any deals I get after my shopping trip this week!

Blessings...Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment